Tuesday, 12 May 2009

Private Thoughts .........

..... public audience.

It was almost exactly two years to the day that I started this blog. For two reasons really:

Firstly -
I was interested in the idea of blogs, the wizards available and what you could do with them. That is, how far you could manipulate and tailor the behind the scenes code (although retired, I still retained an interest in IT !).
And I knew from experience that the best way to understand a programme, was to actually use it.
So that is what I did.

Secondly -
Ever so often, throughout my life, I have tried to keep a diary.
I always loved the idea of looking back at them in years to come, and remembering in greater detail what actually happened day to day.
But each attempt never lasted.
Mainly because my thoughts arrive faster than my hand can keep up with, and my writing would deteriorate abominably.

So that is why I set up my blog. As a 'diary' to document my life with Richard and the girls. To enable me to remember my thoughts and reactions to events happening around us.

It never crossed my mind that other people might read it, and when I received comments from the few - I was always astonished yet thrilled!

The trouble is, when you have an unknown audience to your private musings, sooner or later you upset someone. And that was never my intention.

I have therefore decided that this blog has run its course and I will revert to the traditional concept - and go 'electronically private'. Of course, I have to work out how to do it first.....

This blog was great fun though while it lasted!

7 comments:

Wendy said...

I am so sorry that you are going private (and it's easy to do - just go to 'settings', then 'permissions' and set your privacy level.)

Anyway, Martin and I never got to meet you when we spent some months in Poujol sur Orb last year, but we love reading your blog.

There is something so special about life in France, and in particular life in that region, and I will miss your accounts of it.

But I do know, from my own years as a blogger, that it's easy to unintentionally offend people (*sigh*) and that the internet is inextricably linked to real life so I understand why you have to bow out. I did that too. Completely. I gave up blogging.


I wish you all well, and will really miss your blog.

Lesley said...

Oh no! I was going to write 'welcome back' but now will have to write 'sorry that you are leaving'! I will really miss keeping up with your news :-(
xx

Alex said...

We'll miss you.

WhereDunnit said...

I loved reading about your life in France!

Steph

Jacqui U said...

Thank-you for all your kind thoughts and for understanding. I have enjoyed my two years with you all!!

Wendy - can you send me an e-mail (jacqueline.upex@wanadoo.fr)?

Jacqui
xxxx

mpprh said...

Au revoir !

Peter at The Languedoc Page

marcus said...

Shame to hear that Jacqui.
I'm unable to write at least 50% of the entries I would like to write because they involve people we know or people who live in the region, and I never write that kind of entry for fear of offending, even when the subject seems totally inoffensive.
Very often in 'real life' I've said something I think is amusing only to be told later I was being rude. This is especially the case with French people where it seems that English dry humour doesn't translate so well - or perhaps it's just me, being rude...anyway I try and avoid carrying that rudeness onto the blog, but it does limit my scope a lot...
good luck!