Wednesday, 8 April 2009

Student life - French Style

Unbeknownst to LeeLee, I am compiling a cookery book for her to take to university this September.

It contains all the usual recipes that you would expect (rice, pasta, potatoes, etc) - chosen for not only their nutritional value and ability to fill you up, but mainly for their cheapness!

Unbeknownst to me, LeeLee looked for a cookery book at the library when she went to Beziers today.

And she found a French cookery book, written by local students for students.

And she just had to show me when she got home, knowing I would appreciate why she was laughing with surprise!

I shall list the first few recipes for you:
1. Melon & Parma Ham
2. Parma Ham & Mozzarella
3. Roast chicken (bought from a local butcher) & Homemade Garlic Mayonnaise
4. Smoked salmon, Roquette Salad & Wholemeal Bread (lemon wedges on the side)
5. Avocado, Pear & Tomatoes with a Tarragon Dressing
6. Baguette filled with Garlic Roasted Mushrooms & Roquette drizzled with Balsamic Vinegar
7. Toasted Bread topped with Scrambled Egg & Asparagus

Are you laughing yet?! Does this give you an idea as to some of the differences between students in our two countries?!

I kid you not when I tell you that not one child in her class has ever opened a tin of baked beans, and many have never bought a ready made pizza. They buy the bases and then add their own toppings including a wide variety of vegetables. And they all make their own pasta sauces (never from a jar or tin).

I have an awful feeling that LeeLee is going to be a bit disappointed with my cookery book!

No comments: