Tuesday, 20 January 2009

A President To Remember

Will we remember where we were and what we were doing the day that America's first black president was inaugurated?

I think we will.

I am not sure it was something I expected to see in my lifetime, but it was an event I watched with our daughters - and we were all moved by it.

Sixty years ago, Barrack Obama would not have been allowed to sit on the same bus with white people. He would not have been allowed to eat in the same restaurants.

It brought home to us all how things have changed so much for the better - in actual living memory. The reality sixty years ago is something that our daughters' generation has no concept of.

They discussed segregation in their history lessons this last week. To them, 'history' implies a century or so ago. Not a time when their aunts and uncles (even some parents) were alive!

I wish President Obama, America and indeed the World all the best wishes for the future. Things ARE changing. And for the better.

It took one very brave and determined black woman to refuse to stand up on a bus whilst the white passengers sat down.

Individuals CAN make a difference in the long run.

No comments: