Saturday, 8 November 2008

At The Going Down Of The Sun.....

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.”
This evening I am watching the Royal British Legion Festival Of Remembrance as I do every year. With pride, with sorrow and in tears.

And I feel a connection with my Dad who I know will be watching also. In the past, my Mum would have been with him as well, and I am sure she is looking down now.
***
My childhood is full of memories of Dad in uniform. He was a soldier and also taught music in the Battalion and played the euphonium in the Parachute Regiment's Military Band.

I am, to this day, deeply moved and uplifted when I hear a military band.

I remember many a cold day, wrapped up in scarves, mittens and a woolly hat, watching Dad on parade with the band. And always, at the end, the promised visit to pat Ringway (the 2nd, 3rd, etc) - their regimental mascot, a minature pony. Who seemed to change appearance slightly every few years?! I loved watching their manoeuvres on the parade ground, always impressed that they could play music and march in complicated formations at the same time!

I loved trying to spot Dad, as well as the 'dishmop' drummers and of course the soldier that had the tiger's skin to stop the massive drum rubbing against his uniform. I always wished Dad had had a tiger's skin .........

No comments: