Thursday, 15 May 2008

The English Parent

No Internet/e-mail for virtually all this week! So I have had to load all my posts in one go. Hope you have a few hours spare to catch up with your reading.....
***
Took the girls shopping - they are enthusiastically spending their birthday money (in advance). Just means I have to find more hiding places since they are not allowed the clothes until their actual birthdays.

Me?! Cruel? Never!

Anyway, my little one is growing up fast and is almost an adult. I bought Nic her first ever 'proper' bra. Cannot imagine I was ever an 85cm A (cup) though!
***
Driving to the shops, me and the girls were chatting away - as usual, I hear Richard muttering behind me now!

One of Nic's classmates had sent her home with a question.

In English, what is the rule that determines whether you add an 'S' or an 'ES' to the end of a word.

For example: I go but he goes. I run but he runs.

Nic said she told him: "You just know which is correct. It is obvious!"

I explained to her that this had not been very helpful. How would she have felt if this had been the answer given to her in respect of how to decide whether a noun is masculine or feminine in French.

But Nic said: "It is always obvious. You just know which it is!"

Oh, said this English Parent, living in a foreign land with bilingual children. I see.

2 comments:

Lesley said...

That is a poser! -S after a noun, -ES after a vowel? Great to have you back on line. xx

Jacqui U said...

We guess it must be a rule something like this, but even so, we thought up some exceptions.

XXXX