Friday, 21 December 2007

Obedience

Have not been able to dig out our photo albums, so Properties Part 3 is delayed until I find them!

***
Yesterday evening I decided Xena was due for a trim and a brush.

I went and got her brushes, scissors, strippers, etc and went and sat on her bed in front of the fire.

She took one look at me and what I had in my hands, and legged it.

I called her to 'come here'.

Not a chance she thought.

I said 'Come here Xena'.

'No I won't ! ' she thought.

'Oh yes you will' I said and she did.

I trimmed her ears and brushed her all over. She looked better than before - less furball!

Richard and the girls went up to bed. Xena usually stays downstairs next to me until I decide to go up. Not tonight though. She VERY POINTEDLY went upstairs just after Richard and then peered down at me from the mezzanine just to make sure I realised she was making a not-very-subtle point!

***
This evening I decided Xena was due for a bath - she has one about once a year.

I went and got the bath ready and checked the water was warm enough from the shower head. I put out her towel and called her to 'come here'.

Xena came and I took her collar off. She took a good look at me and the fact that I was next to the bath, which was all ready ...... and legged it.

I called her to 'come here'. Not a chance she thought.

I said 'Come here Xena'. 'No I won't ! ' she thought.

'Oh yes you will' I said and she did.

I told her to 'get up' to the side of the bath, and she said 'not a chance!'

I said 'Get up Xena'. 'No I won't ! ' she thought.

'Oh yes you will' I said and she did.

She was shampooed, rinsed off and I let her out of the bath.

We then had great fun - me rubbing her down with the towel whilst she rolled around on her back trying to catch it in her teeth. The best part for both of us!!

***
Later in the evening, after she had dried off a bit, I got her brush out and called Xena to 'come here'.

Not a chance she thought.

I said 'Come here Xena'. 'No I won't ! ' she thought.

'Oh yes you will' I said and she did.

She looked beautiful afterwards!!

***
Even later in the evening, I was eating a clementine and Xena came to sit near me hoping to get some. But not as near as usual.

I said 'Come here Xena'.

'Oh, no I won't! ' she thought.

'Oh yes you will' I said and she did, and enjoyed her clementine segments.

She has even forgiven me tonight (or has a very short memory!) because she is sitting next to me as I type, even though everyone else has gone to bed.
***
Lessons to be learnt:

1. Dogs never learn.
2. You always have to 'win' if you are to have an obedient dog.
3. Once in a while, doing as you are told actually gets you a worthwhile reward! (Please note, LeeLee and Nic if you are reading this!!)
4. A Sussex Spaniel bears a grudge.
5. Do not get a Sussex Spaniel unless you are REALLY stubborn yourself!!

***
Quote from a web site telling you all you need to know about Sussex Spaniels - if only we had read this many years ago!!

"These are very sociable dogs, which usually get along well with cats and are excellent with children. Most get along with other dogs, but some can be aggressive with unfamiliar dogs.
So right!

It tends to be less playful and demonstrative than other Spaniels, with a low energy level.
So right!

The Sussex Spaniel is a quick learner but has a mind of its own. It is therefore important to be consistent with them. It needs firm and patient training.
Down right stubborn, I would say!

This breed likes to bark.
So right!

You may want to teach them when they are young that one bark, for instance when the doorbell rings, is sufficient.
Fat chance!

Novice owners should be willing and able to assert their dominance. "
I don't have a problem with this, but someone needs to tell the Sussex Spaniel......

***
Photo courtesy of the Quarr family/breeders web site. Just to show you that we are not the only owners with a fluffy one!

2 comments:

Alex said...

We both love your blog and thank you for taking the time and effort. We wish you and all your family a Happy Christmas and a good New Year. Alex and Jan

Jacqui U said...

Thank-you so much, from La Famille Upex!

Merry Christmas and a healthy 2008!

Remember me to blighty!

Jacqui
xxxx