Friday, 14 September 2007

Lo Divendês 14 de Setembre

Why did I feel inordinately proud when Nic came home spouting another language?

Basically because I was impressed that after just one lesson she was speaking a little bit of Occitan, with a noticeably non-French and non-English accent - in fact she sounded just like our neighbours when they speak it!! Unintelligible!

I was gob-smacked when she then proceeded to explain that she must correct her pronunciation of one particular word because she just knew she was saying it wrong.

When Richard asked Nic whether she thought Occitan was more like French or Spanish, she looked at him rather puzzled, and said that since they all have common roots in Latin primarily, they all have similarities with each other - and illustrated her point with various examples...... ! Ask a silly question....?!

Her poem went like this:

Mon paire pecaire avia qu'una dent,
Amas trantolava quand fasia de vent.
Ma maire paire avia qu'una dent,
Amas......etc......etc

Roughly translated (I think!):

My father has only one tooth,
When it is windy it moves.
My mother has only one tooth,
When it is windy it moves.
My brother has only one tooth,
When it is windy it moves.
My father, my mother, my brother all only have one tooth,
My family only have three teeth between them!

No comment from me on the level of conversation you can obviously have in Occitan......

No comments: