Thursday, 23 August 2007

Anything and Nothing

Today's post is a bit of a mish-mash. Odd thoughts and items.
***
If you live in Birmingham and are planning to go clubbing tonight - don't! LeeLee and her friend have gone to stay with the friend's cousin in the aforementioned city and you can guess what they are planning to do tonight....

So if you meet a cousin, the cousin's brother (on bodyguarding duty) and two girls, one of whom might be speaking French if she has been drinking - remember! The French speaking one is my daughter, so behave yourself !!!!
***
Richard has been setting up our family trees on the Internet and recently the 'World War I Army Pension Records' have been made available on line. What has this taught us? The Army keep very intimately detailed medical records of their soldiers - and consider how embarrassing it would be if your descendants look up your records in the future! So think very seriously before joining up!
***
Nic is begging LeeLee to come home - and share in the bounty of vegetables we are eating at the moment! Tonight we feasted on the green leaves of yesterday's blette, roughly shredded and then stir fried in butter and just the water clinging to them after washing. Yummy!
***
My 'sort of' passata looks great and more importantly - tastes good. Of course, I could of taken a picture of the row of glass jars now lined up on my larder shelves - but that would be REALLY sad! I hope you are impressed that I found a picture of blette on the web though!
***
Happy First Birthday to Floris - the grandson of our friends Riet and Albert. Gelukkige Verjaardag en alle onze liefde!

(I hope this says what I think it says!? My Dutch is not too good...)

4 comments:

Lesley said...

Pictures make it real to us readers! Well done with the use of the glut of vegetables. I need ideas now for my glut of plums and apples- apart from jam as we do not eat it much. Any suggestions?

Lesley

Jacqui U said...

Dear Lesley

How about:

1. Plum and Apple Savoury Jelly.
(Stored in jars).Ideal to have with roast pork or lamb for example.

2. Bottled Spiced Plums in Brandy.
(Stored in jars) Great to have in the store cupboard, served warm or cold whenever you need a quick pudding (with ice cream, cream or maybe custard).

2. Frozen Tarts.
Use ready rolled shop bought pastry, and line freezer tart trays. De-stone and halve the plums, or skin/core/chop the apples. Mix fruit liberally with sugar and add to the tart base. Put a pastry top on, and freeze. When required pop in the oven and cook. Can add spices and/or orange peel maybe to the fruit before freezing.

I have recipes for the first two if you are interested!

Jacqui
xxx

Lesley said...

Thank-you! My mouth is watering already! Please e-mail the first two recipes when you have a moment. It will give me something to do over the Bank Holiday week-end.
Lesley x

Jacqui U said...

I will scan them now and e-mail. Happy cooking!

Jacqui
xxx