Friday, 13 July 2007

Battle of Passchendaele

This news story about the fact that it is 90 years since the Battle of Passchendaele captured my attention because of a book I have just finished reading. It is called 'The First Casualty' by Ben Elton - we picked it up at a charity secondhand book sale at the weekend.

Like most people, I had learnt about the horrors of the First World War and the terrible conditions experienced by the soldiers. I have to admit though that I had no real conception of the reality of life (or indeed death) in the trenches. This book is explicit and so well written - you would almost believe he was writing from actual experience. It also deals with the side issues including those willing to speak out against the war, weaving the story around a murder enquiry.

I have never been interested in reading any of Ben Elton's novels before because I assumed his writing style would be short, sharp and more suited to comedy. How wrong I was! This book impressed me - and I will be looking out for more to read.
lll

Just packing up for the night when LeeLee joined Richard and I downstairs, after having been on the phone for HOURS to her longterm friend. She was telling us all the things they talked about and to be honest I was zoning out a bit. But my parent's ears suddenly retuned into ...... "and her best friend at sixth form had sex for the first time this week and described it in detail and, well, we both thought TOO MUCH DETAIL!"

Well I think Richard thought so too as he hurriedly left the room!

No comments: